The Upside Down World

Saturday, February 11, 2006

A prayer and (I hope) an answer for our world

The other day I was driving and thinking about how upside down our world seems to me. It's been said to the point of being cliche and meaningless words, but when even the idea of the desirability of family, marriage and faith is seen as questionable it's hard to see how this can be a good thing for us and our children. Even those who are making a living in politics, advocacy and such claiming to stand for "family values" wouldn't seriously consider radically changing the way things are done for the sake of our families if it meant upturning apple carts they're making money off of.
I asked God there in my car, "what do we do? I know you're in charge and have plan, but how do we change anything?"* The answer which came instantly to my mind is the one our family's been trying to live for some time and I do believe it is the hope we have: "turn away and inward". By this I mean simply refuse to take part in the culture and world around us and focus on the world you do influence: your spouse, children and close friends. Invest in them and leave the rest behind.
My friends have heard me talk about my bubble theory before; we're making a bubble for ourselves. We can see what's going on around us, but refuse to let most of it in. In turn we're teaching our children to do the same for themselves and their future families. Perhaps one day, enough people will be making their own bubbles that these safe places of family and life can connect and crowd out the darkness which seems to be taking over around us.
Of course, just quietly living quality lives and building functional families isn't quite as exciting as giving "wrong thinking people" (as my friend Kim likes to call them) the what-for. I am convinced, however, that it's the only way we'll really make a difference. How's your bubble going?

*Yes, I talk to God in my car. As a matter of fact, I take anxiety and worry as a sign to pray: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 And yes, I am a bible quoter - it's just the vocabulary I have for explaining what I think are universal truths. I don't mean to put anyone off by it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next