The Upside Down World

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Homeschool Prom

Here's a nice little article about a homeschool prom held outside Chicago. I loved this:

"I don't know how these people learned this," the Elmhurst teen said, motioning toward a huddle of other students bouncing to the beats of a Ciara CD. Freshman Michael Naskrent, a home-schooler whose dervish-like twirls set his loosened necktie flapping, later whispered his secret to looking so good his first time out: "I asked my mom how to dance."

LOL :) Now there's a lesson which probably doesn't have a place in most teen's schooling - learning how to dance from mom!
I thought this was telling as well:

Although some schools now require parents to attend pre-prom information sessions or mandate Breathalyzer tests for attending students, all the home-schooled teens interviewed said they had never considered drinking before the event.

I'm guessing none of the girls showed up dressed like this either. I wonder what the state of homeschooling will be when my baby girl is old enough for prom. I hope it is going strong and still fairly isolated from the problems which too many teens face and succumb to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Unschooling Blogs
Previous | Next